Sunday, February 5, 2017

Process Piece: Making the Bed


I decided to do a silent video of myself making the bed. I felt like a silent video would be more effective for this act of human labor than just audio because there isn't a lot of sound that goes into making the bed, and I felt like the act would be better represented through video than audio. The actual recording was 8 minutes long, so I also liked the idea of doing video so that I could use my entire recording (I cut a little off the very beginning and the very end), just speed it up to be under a minute, and still have the process be recognizable. I feel like if I were to do audio of something that was 8 minutes long and then speed it up or cut it to be under a minute, it wouldn't be the same. Which could be an artistic choice/result of the process, but I wanted it to be more realistically representative of the process. I recorded the process on my iPhone and then sped up the video x8 in iMovie. This was also chosen a lot out of convenience. I had just finished the laundry and I needed to make the bed and I hadn't done this assignment yet, so here we are.


1 comment:

  1. A few points were deducted because it didn't meet the time limit (1-2 minutes). Nice work on your artist statement. Did you view the process of making your bed differently after completing this project?

    ReplyDelete